Monday, February 6, 2012

[Reverb Gamers 2012 Master List] Question #4

Atlas Games' "Reverb Gamers" group has published a list of questions. It is available from the Atlas Games site (http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ReverbGamers2012MasterList.pdf).I am going to answer them, one at a time

 REVERB GAMERS 2012, #4: Are you a "closet gamer?" Have you ever hidden the fact that you're a
gamer from your co-workers, friends, family, or significant other? Why or why not? How did they react
if they found out?

 I am out and proud of it! I have never seen a reason to hide it.

My parents and brother don't really understand. They always thought I would "grow out of it." (Even though they all love card games, some board games, and even some video games. Yes, my mom loves Nintendo games.) I never have "grown out of it," and hope I never do. When I was in college I surrounded myself with gamers. We were a "family of freaks" and prided ourselves in "scaring the straights." We were kooky, oddball outcasts and we reveled in it. We took pride in being weird and different.

I grew up playing games. They are something that have gone with me everywhere I go. They are a big part of my life. I even married a gamer girl. (Let me tell you, marrying a gamer is the ultimate win!)

I am sure that some people think I am strange. Not all of my coworkers share my hobby or understand it, but they don't seem taken aback by it. I get a strange look every so often. I do fall into the trap of sometimes having to explain that when I say "gamer" I don't mean "video gamer." It is nice that the prevalence of video games has made being a gamer more accepted. It seems that being a tabletop RPG gamer still has a bit of a stigma, however. Video games won't necessarily get you strange looks, but mentioning "D&D" can.

When it all comes down to it, I don't really care if people accept that about me or not. I am what I am, and I am not going to hide it. I love my hobby. I live my hobby. I love being a gamer. I am not going to be "in your face" about it, but I see no reason not to be outspoken about it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment