Wednesday, February 15, 2012

[Reverb Gamers 2012 Master List] Question #9

Atlas Games' "Reverb Gamers" group has published a list of questions. It is available from the Atlas Games site (http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ReverbGamers2012MasterList.pdf).I am going to answer them, one at a time.

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #9: Have you ever played a character of the opposite sex. Why or why not?
If yes, how did the other players react?

Yes. I have done it at conventions and once at a Pathfinder Society game when I was playing a pregenerated character. I may have done it once or twice in home games, but can't recall any instances.

I admit that I am not a big fan of playing the opposite sex at the gaming table. Most of the time I see guys trying (and usually failing) to play female characters. (I rarely see females playing males.) The reason why I say trying and failing is that most of the time when a male tries to play a female the character ends up being a caricature of the female gender. It has been my experience that male roleplayers who like playing female characters do so not because it fits the character, but because they want to bring adolescent sexual stereotypes into the game.

There are some players who are successful at playing the opposite sex. I have seen people do it well. They are in the minority, however. This is one of those areas where I feel that doing it well is important. If you can't play the opposite gender appropriately don't play it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment