Thursday, February 23, 2012

[Reverb Gamers 2012 Master List] Question #11

Atlas Games' "Reverb Gamers" group has published a list of questions. It is available from the Atlas Games site (http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ReverbGamers2012MasterList.pdf).I am going to answer them, one at a time.

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #11: Have you ever played a character that was morally gray, or actually
evil? Why or why not? If yes, did you enjoy it?

Yes, yes, and more yes. I like playing morally gray and evil characters, although I don't play evil all that often. These types of character are fun. It is great to get out of the "I am a selfless hero" mold and I don't like playing Dudley Do-Right very often.

To understand you need to think about comic book characters. Who do you like better Batman or Superman? I really like Batman. He is my favorite comic book character. He is interesting. He is nuanced. He is not a Boy Scout like Superman. I am not a fan of the Man of Steel.

Truly good and truly evil characters are hard to play. Morally gray characters mimic real life and are comfortable and easy to play. There is usually a touch of gray to the characters I make when I can get away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment