Wednesday, February 8, 2012

[Reverb Gamers 2012 Master List] Question #6 - Part 2

Atlas Games' "Reverb Gamers" group has published a list of questions. It is available from the Atlas Games site (http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ReverbGamers2012MasterList.pdf).I am going to answer them, one at a time.

REVERB GAMERS 2012, #6: Describe your all-time favorite character to play. What was it about
him/her/it that you enjoyed so much?

This question begs for a long and descriptive answer, so it will be presented in two parts.

In part one I described the first adventure of Gareth the one-handed thief. This was the adventure in which he lost his hand. Go read it at: http://dougkeester.blogspot.com/2012/02/reverb-gamers-2012-master-list-question_08.html.

Here is part two.

After that first rollicking adventure with Gareth had ended, I was chatting with the GM (an amazingly cool guy named Harley Stroh who writes and edits for Goodman Games). He was going to be running another playtest session later that day and said that I should play Gareth again. I readily agreed.

I had no idea what I was getting into.

When I sat down at the table for that session I was told that Gareth would be the focus of the adventure. It took place a few years after the events of the previous game. He had been given a task to take the big book of evilness, which he had acquired in the first adventure, to a specific location called "The Black Gate" on some remote island. So, the game started with me hiring the rest of the group to take me and the book to said gate on said island.

When we arrived at the island all hell broke loose. We got attacked by natives almost right off the boat. While we were fighting them the island was actively trying to swallow the book. Gareth had managed to activate some sort of charm which caused several vines to come to life. They grabbed the book and started to drag it into a chasm which was opening up on the island. As soon as he was able, Gareth jumped off the cliff after the book. Amazingly he didn't die. Nor did he die when the vines took the book into the stronghold of some giants at the bottom of the chasm. Fighting giants is not a hobby which I would suggest any adventurer take up, especially in a game as deadly as DCCRPG. However, Gareth managed to survive. He really shouldn't have.

I played Gareth like a driven maniac in the second adventure. He was obsessed with the book and was going to stop at nothing to get it back and complete his quest.

If only the rest of the party hadn't stopped him. At the end the party escaped from the giants with the book through a bit of guile, a bit of luck, judicious use of swords and other weapons, and finally a huge teleportation spell. The spell took us to the gate. Whereupon the party had fulfilled its contract and hastily captured Gareth and the book before he could use the book on the gate and bring forth the Armageddon.

The first session was huge fun, but the second session was the most amazing four hours of roleplaying in which I have ever participated. The vibe at the table was awesome. It was part theater and part group storytelling. I got into Gareth more deeply than I have ever gotten into any character before. The story took on a life of its own as we played it. It was simply wonderful.

In the end you might say it was the story, not the character that made the experience memorable. I will counter that the story and that character are inextricably linked. I relive that story through Gareth's eyes, not the eyes of a gamer roleplaying a PC. He came alive for me. He and the story live in my mind almost as if I had lived the events myself.

Here is my write-up for the adventures on Goodman's forums. The thread includes write-ups from other players who were at the table. http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7900

I hope that every gamer has an experience that deep and that personal at least once in their gaming career. I know that I am going to try to have another one like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment